- RSS Channel Showcase 9268906
- RSS Channel Showcase 3914331
- RSS Channel Showcase 2138302
- RSS Channel Showcase 2699101
Articles on this Page
- 05/15/17--21:51: _Mobile Passport get...
- 05/22/17--06:42: _Android O feature s...
- 05/22/17--10:25: _The ‘Swipe for noti...
- 06/14/17--13:41: _Google Wallet v20 i...
- 06/22/17--13:43: _Evernote’s latest b...
- 06/23/17--13:20: _[Update: It’s Live]...
- 08/03/17--20:14: _Starbucks for Andro...
- 10/17/17--12:33: _OneNote adds finger...
- 10/22/17--11:18: _Mercedes adds finge...
- 12/15/17--15:17: _Android 8.1 may hav...
- 01/11/18--17:18: _Magisk updated with...
- 02/09/18--14:19: _Newton Mail update ...
- 03/15/18--08:00: _Southwest Airlines ...
- 03/18/18--07:30: _XFINITY Stream app ...
- 03/20/18--06:30: _Amazon adds fingerp...
- 04/10/18--10:15: _Web Authentication ...
- 04/12/18--22:21: _Samsung hit with la...
Update 1: 2017/05/22 11:10am PDT
We originally included the Pixel and Pixel XL in this report, but later learned that this feature had been working correctly for those devices all along.
- 06/22/17--13:43: Evernote’s latest beta adds fingerprint support
- 08/03/17--20:14: Starbucks for Android now has fingerprint support
- 10/22/17--11:18: Mercedes adds fingerprint support to its otherwise-terrible app
- 01/11/18--17:18: Magisk updated with fingerprint security option for root requests
- 02/09/18--14:19: Newton Mail update adds fingerprint support and image optimization
Secure your emails with fingerprint unlock: Go to Settings > General > Passcode to enable it.
- 03/15/18--08:00: Southwest Airlines app adds fingerprint authentication and more
- 03/18/18--07:30: XFINITY Stream app gets fingerprint support for parental controls
- Gain faster, easier access to your Parental Controls by using fingerprint authentication instead of a PIN.
- We’ve worked out a few code improvements and fixed some bugs to enhance your overall experience.
- 03/20/18--06:30: Amazon adds fingerprint support to its Key app
- 04/10/18--10:15: Web Authentication API aims to make passwords unnecessary
Fingerprint sensors are on so many smartphones these days, and for good reason: they're quick and secure. For those reasons, they can also be used as extra security for apps that have private information such as PayPal and many banking apps. The rather nifty Mobile Passport app is the latest app to add this functionality, along with support for Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport and a few other things.
Unless you fly in and out of Phoenix all the time, you'll probably find the fingerprint authentication the most useful part of this update.Read More
Mobile Passport gets updated with fingerprint authentication, PHX airport support, and more was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Since the Pixel was released last year it's been possible to swipe down on the rear-mounted fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification shade. Those who use the feature may have noticed that while holding your phone in landscape you would need to...
Since the release of the Pixel last year it's been possible to swipe down on the rear-mounted fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification shade. It took a while, but the feature eventually came to to the Nexus 5X, and finally the 6P.Read More
The 'Swipe for notifications' gesture now matches device orientation for Nexuses running Android O was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
While Android Pay may have stolen the thunder in terms of Google's various methods of moving money from one party to another, Wallet is still up and running for those times when you've just got to move a few bucks between friends. The latest update lo...
Fingerprint sensors are rapidly becoming essential features on phones. It isn't just high-end flagships that ship with one these days. Even mid-range devices like the Moto G have them now. So, it comes as no surprise that more and more apps are integrating the feature, too. The 7.12 Evernote beta, which adds fingerprint unlock support, is just one of the more recent examples.
A fingerprint is no replacement for a password since it can't really be changed, but it is a convenient means of basic security.Read More
While Android Pay may have stolen the thunder in terms of Google's various methods of moving money from one party to another, Wallet is still up and running for those times when you've just got to move a few bucks between friends. The latest update looks basically identical to the last few versions, but a teardown of the app shows there are going to be a few changes to the security model that should reduce a little bit of friction and make the app much more convenient than it was in the past.Read More
[Update: It's Live] Google Wallet v20 is getting ready to add fingerprint support and replace its own PIN codes with Google Account PIN [APK Teardown] was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Those that frequent the land of French roasts and baristas to get their caffeine fix can now save a few extra seconds each day. The Starbucks app for Android was just updated, and among the recent changes is fingerprint support. So the next time you l...
Microsoft's services can be hit or miss, but when it comes to OneNote, it's most certainly a hit. The note-taking application has been, quite deservedly, at the top of most productivity lists for a long time. And a recent update to the Android app has made it even easier to keep your notes secure, too. Now you can add passwords and use your fingerprint to unlock sections.
The section protection and password setup process
It's worth noting (ha) that OneNote received the ability to open password-protected sections in an earlier update, but now you can also create them from your phone.Read More
OneNote adds fingerprint security and the ability to create password protected sections was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
If you have a recent Mercedes-Benz, you may have used the 'Mercedes me' app. It allows you to manage your car remotely, including starting the engine (2016 models or newer) and locking/unlocking the doors. The app currently has an average rating of 2.1 stars on the Play store, with the vast majority of reviews being one star.
While I can't say for certain if the app's basic functionality has improved at all (I don't own a Benz), Mercedes has quietly added an important feature - fingerprint support.Read More
Mercedes adds fingerprint support to its otherwise-terrible app was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Have you noticed that it takes just a bit longer to unlock your Pixel 2 XL when you use the fingerprint reader? If so, you aren't alone. In the last few weeks since the update, there have been multiple reports that the Pixel 2 XL takes about a second longer to unlock the device when using the fingerprint reader. The good news is that Google is looking into it.
Fingerprint unlock in slow motion on Android 8.1 (left) and 8.0 (right)
Thankfully it isn't a very severe problem, as the only disadvantage is the extra bit of time it takes to use your phone, but compared to the nearly-instantaneous unlocking the Pixel 2 XL previously had, it is a bit unfortunate.Read More
Android 8.1 may have made the Pixel 2 XL's fingerprint unlock slower for some was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Magisk is probably one of the most well-known and widely used root solutions these days, made famous for its root-detection mitigation strategies. Now both Magisk and the accompanying Magisk Manager have been updated to v15.3 and v5.4.4, respectively, this time bringing the convenience of fingerprint authorization to the dialog which grants root access.
Find the highlights yourself 😏 pic.twitter.com/4UCROlND0c
— John Wu (@topjohnwu) January 11, 2018
The new versions are v15.3 (Magisk) and v5.4.4 (Magisk Manager), and changelogs for each are included just below:
- [Daemon] Fix the bug that only one script would be executed in post-fs-data.d/service.d
- [Daemon] Add MS_SILENT flag when mounting, should fix some devices that cannot mount magisk.img
- [MagiskBoot] Fix potential segmentation fault when patching ramdisk, should fix some installation failures
- Fix dtbo on-boot detection, should follow configured dtbo patching behavior on Pixel 2 devices
- Add fingerprint authentication for Superuser requests
Both changelogs are pretty light this time around.Read More
Magisk updated with fingerprint security option for root requests was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Newton Mail is an app that we cover from time to time here on AP. Formerly known as CloudMagic, the paid email app is reasonably popular with corporate users thanks to its multiple commercial and CRM integrations. It received a bump to v9.8.187, which adds fingerprint support to secure your emails.
The changelog is as follows:
Newton Mail update adds fingerprint support and image optimization was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Southwest Airlines doesn't often push major changes to its Android app, with the last one being a redesign from back in November 2016. But this latest update adds fingerprint authentication, which makes logging into secure apps a lot less of a pain. I...
Comcast's switch from XFINITY TV to XFINITY Stream about a year ago was met with lots of criticism for a number of reasons, and based on the latest Google Store reviews, users still aren't very happy. But here's something that might cheer you up: fingerprint authentication has been added for parental controls.
XFINITY Stream app gets fingerprint support for parental controls was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
Amazon's Key in-home delivery service was announced last October and its cameras and smart door locks became available in November. Since then, Amazon has been able to use Key to place your purchases inside your doorstep by asking you to grant its del...
Passwords are kind of a pain. You probably have sign-in credentials for about a million services, and ideally, they're all different. Password managers can help, but they're often finicky. A new standard by the FIDO Alliance and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) called Web Authentication API could simplify your digital life by allowing for password-free sign-ins across a wide variety of websites.
Instead of entering a password, users use their phone's registered unlock method, be it PIN, pattern, or fingerprint.Read More
Web Authentication API aims to make passwords unnecessary was written by the awesome team at Android Police.
With their fingerprint sensors, iris scanners, and facial recognition tech, Samsung phones feature more methods of biometric authentication than most, if not all, of their competitors. However, the Korean company is now being sued by a US-based "data ...